Unsealed files: The disappearance of Maya Millete a “criminal investigation”

0

No mention of homicide in the restraining order against unsealed firearm violence against the husband.

SAN DIEGO — Civil court records were released Monday in the gun violence restraining order filed against the husband of missing Chula Vista mother, Maya Millete.

Files not sealed described the January 7 disappearance of Millete, 39, as a “criminal investigation” and her husband, Larry Millete, as a “person of interest” in the case.

News 8 went to court last week and asked a judge to unseal the records. Judge Katherine Bacal agreed that the public should have access to the documents.

The files, however, did not describe the husband as a suspect and they said nothing about a homicide related to the Millete case.

In newspapers, San Diego police alleged that Millete’s three children had access to the husband’s gun collection because they knew the combination to the home safe.

“The minor children in the house had the combination and access to the safe where the firearms were stored,” SDPD Detective Garlow wrote in an unsealed statement.

Officers feared that if the gun violence restraining order was not kept secret – before officers seized Millete’s gun collection – the husband could ‘shoot with police over photographs showing multiple unregistered and/or illegal assault rifles with extensive ammunition on a table at the respondent’s home,” according to a statement filed by San Diego Assistant City Attorney Jeff Brooker.

The judge also released two photographs from Larry Millete’s gun collection, including one with a redacted image of his 4-year-old son standing on a kitchen table surrounded by 16 rifles and handguns.


Prior to filing the GVRO petition, officers had served search warrants at the Chula Vista home of Larry Millete on January 23, as well as the Encanto home of his uncle, Ricky Lincoln, on April 1.

During those early raids, officers seized a few firearms from each home, according to the statement of an SDPD detective in the case. The SDPD detective thought the guns were illegal.

“I believe Millete and Lincoln violated California Penal Code Section 30605(a) – Possession of Assault Weapons,” the detective wrote.

Police seized the rest of Millete’s gun collection during a second search of his Chula Vista home on May 7. Officers served a third warrant against the home on July 1.

News 8 asked the judge to unseal the records on June 23, after the weapons had already been seized and when Larry Millete was fully aware that the GVRO was wanted against him.

In a written response to GVRO, Millete said his guns were legal, he was a non-violent person and had nothing to do with his wife’s disappearance.

A court hearing is now set for September 14, when a judge will decide whether to make the temporary GVRO against Millete permanent for up to a year.

WATCH RELATED: Photographs of Evidence Released in Larry Millete GVRO Case

Share.

Comments are closed.