The investigation into the CT State Police shooting of Mubarak Sulemane

0

A state trooper who shot and killed Mubarak Soulemane as the 19-year-old New Haven resident sat in a car after a high-speed chase has been charged in connection with the fatal shooting.

The decision by the state inspector general’s office to charge the officer, Brian North, comes more than two years after the police shooting and marks the first time in more than a decade that a police officer has been charged with a fatal shooting. .

Body camera footage of North shows the officer firing seven shots from his handgun at Soulemane through the closed window of a car Soulemane was driving during the incident on January 15, 2020. The car was stuck in traffic just off Interstate-95 exit 43 in West Haven.


North claimed in the video that Soulemane had a knife inside the car. Police had been pursuing Soulemane over an alleged carjacking in Norwalk. Soulemane’s family later said he suffered from schizophrenia and may have suffered from an episode during the incident.

North was charged with first degree manslaughter with a firearm and was released on $50,000 bond. He is due to appear in Milford Superior Court on May 3.

Here is a timeline of how the shooting and investigation unfolded.

January 15, 2020 – Soulemane is shot dead by a state trooper after an alleged carjacking

Soulemane was fatally shot by North just off Interstate 95 exit 43 in West Haven on January 15. Soulemane allegedly hijacked a driver in Norwalk following an alleged knife incident at an AT&T store there, then fled from police at high speed. along the highway. North said he saw a knife in Soulemane’s possession. He fired seven shots through a closed window, killing the 19-year-old New Haven resident.

January 17, 2020 – Soulemane’s family reveal he suffered from schizophrenia

Saeed Soulemane said his brother graduated from Notre Dame Fairfield (high school), battling the difficulties posed by his mental illness. He was a sophomore at Gateway Community College. He was going to be 20 in July; he hoped to attend Roger Williams University.

His sister, Mariyann ​​Soulemane, said her brother’s mental illness became apparent in 2016. “I was amazed at how patient he was – I wish I had his patience, but when this illness took over her mind, it was like the blink of an eye,” she said in an interview at the time.

January 17, 2020 – Body camera footage from the shoot is released

In accordance with state law, the Connecticut State Police released the audio of police radio transmissions, phone calls between G Troop and Norwalk police, and a 911 call. Footage from three separate dash cams and three separate body-worn cameras were also shown.

January 21, 2020 – State inspectors resume shooting investigation

The investigation into North’s use of force is assigned to Middlesex State’s Attorney Michael A. Gailor and Criminal Justice Division inspectors, rather than the state police. “The underlying investigative work has always been done by the Connecticut State Police, however, it has been decided that the Criminal Justice Division inspectors conduct this investigation to the extent that the use of the force involved a state trooper,” the division said in a statement. The investigation was initially assigned to New London State Attorney Michael L. Regan.

January 25, 2020 – North bans all contact with the public during the investigation

Until all investigations related to the case are complete, North will not interact with the public or be assigned to barracks, Reverend Boise Kimber said after speaking with state officials, adding that he will be on duty and not allowed to drive a police car.

January 26, 2020 – Reverend Al Sharpton speaks at Soulemane’s funeral

“You have no right to take his life, and if you do, we have an obligation to stand up and question what happened,” Sharpton said at a memorial service. Sunday for Soulemane at First Calvary Baptist Church in New Haven. .

January 30, 2020 – State Attorney General Releases Preliminary Report

The report officially states that Soulemane died from multiple gunshot wounds and notes that officers from the West Haven Police Department were at the scene at the time of the shooting.

The Soulemane family also met with West Haven officials about the role of city police at the scene of the shooting. Police Chief Joseph Perno said between four or five West Haven officers were on the scene supporting state police before Soulemane was shot and then provided first aid after the shooting.

The family also pleaded for the city to purchase body cameras.

January 31, 2020 – Gathering organized by friends and family

“We won’t let Mubi’s name be picked up by different headlines in the news, and that’s why we’re here today,” said organizer and friend Kira Ortolera. “Mubi was a good friend of mine. He was a brother, a boyfriend, a friend, a son, a nephew – and we’re not going to let him drown.

February 4, 2020 – West Haven Mayor Says City Will Consider Purchasing Body Cameras

Mayor Nancy Rossi said she would explore the possibility of acquiring body cameras for city police after meeting with the Soulemane family.

February 17, 2020 – Status: Soldier who fatally shot New Haven man has choice to release personal file

Department of Emergency Services and Public Safety officials said North’s personnel file would not be released unless the department, under a new collective bargaining agreement, is specifically required to release it by order of the court or North provides its consent.

February 19, 2020 – Lawyers for the Soulemane family announce plans to file wrongful death lawsuit

The family should seek $10 million in damages, according to their lawyers.

January 15, 2021 – One year after Soulemane’s death

On the first anniversary of Soulemane’s death, family and community members hold a candlelight vigil for Soulemane under the I-95 overpass where he was shot and killed. “Unfortunately, with his illness, it held him back a lot. But under this illness (laid) still our Mubarak, a very loving and caring soul,” said Mariyann ​​Soulemane, his sister. “He had so much more life to live.”

November 3, 2021 – The Office of Inspector General takes charge of the investigation

The newly created state Inspector General’s Office assumes the investigation of the shooting of Soulemane, as well as other cases of use of force by the police. The bureau was formed under state law passed in the wake of the killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, which saw widespread protests across Connecticut and across the country.

December 21, 2021 – The Soulemane family sues

The Soulemane family is filing a lawsuit against the city of West Haven, city police and state troopers involved in the shooting. The lawsuit seeks compensatory damages, punitive damages, attorneys’ fees and costs, and any other relief the court deems appropriate.

April 8, 2022 – Family says state investigation is taking too long

Soulemane’s family says they want the state to complete its report on the fatal shooting so they can move on. “(It) took too long. We have been waiting patiently for two years. We want to move on,” said Soulemane’s mother, Omo Mohammed. “The whole family is devastated, and we’re still waiting and waiting… We’re still thinking about it, because there’s nothing coming out of the state.

April 19, 2022 – North charged with manslaughter

North is arrested after surrendering to the Inspector General of Troop I at Bethany, state police said in a news release. He is charged with first-degree manslaughter with a firearm and was released on $50,000 bond. He is due to appear in Milford Superior Court on May 3

Share.

Comments are closed.