The Criminal Investigation Division is investigating an officer involved in a shootout in central Sioux Falls.


SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO) – The Criminal Investigation Division is investigating an officer involved in a shooting in central Sioux Falls.

The incident began around 7:30 a.m. Thursday, when two adults and a minor arrived at the hospital with stab wounds. Shortly thereafter, officers attended the suspect’s scene near the intersection of 12th Street and Garfield Avenue.

Police said at that time the suspect was still armed, so SWAT and negotiators were called to the scene.

Officers said negotiators spoke with the suspect for about an hour, before the suspect was charged by law enforcement. Police shot and killed the suspect. DCI will investigate the shooting and police involvement.

With a school nearby and students heading to class, officers also had to worry about the safety of several people in the area.

It is the end that the police hoped to avoid as gunshots rang out in this quiet area.

“Obviously the goal is to get the suspect to surrender peacefully,” said Sam Clemens, Sioux Falls Police Information Officer.

SWAT and negotiators were called to the area shortly after 8 a.m. this morning to try to convince the suspect to surrender.

“I know there were times he would come out the door and then go back inside,” Clemens said.

While many police officers had their guns drawn and focused on the house, where the suspect remained locked up for over an hour, other officers attempted to protect the neighbors, alerting them to the dangerous situation that still unfolded.

While the police had blocked the area; pushing some people away, they were also concerned about what was going on around them.

Many children were going to a nearby school at this time.

“You can have children walking, other people walking, and cars driving, so it’s important to make sure everyone is safe in such a volatile situation; he was suspected of injuring three other people, so safety is paramount, ”Clemens said.

Nearby Garfield Elementary School has not been blocked.

As of 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon, law enforcement was still at the scene of the clash and said they would be there for a while to investigate what had happened.


Comments are closed.