A Rialto school is under investigation after a 17-year-old boy was accused of sexually assaulting three teenage girls, one of whom reported the incident to school officials last year , although the police were not informed.
At approximately 6:30 p.m. on February 16, police were notified of a sexual assault that occurred at Carter High School, said the Rialto Police Department in a Press release.
The initial report to police said a 15-year-old student had been sexually assaulted by a 17-year-old student on multiple occasions over the past three months.
When detectives investigated the allegations, they learned there were two other female students, ages 15 and 16, who said they had been sexually assaulted by the same suspect, the department said.
Although one of the victims first reported the assaults to school officials in September 2021, no notification was made to the Rialto Police Department until February 16, the news release said.
As soon as the department was informed of the incidents, a criminal investigation was opened
and remains ongoing, police said.
Detectives contacted the young suspect who was issued a citation and returned to the custody of his parents, pending criminal charges.
Additionally, criminal charges have been recommended to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office for review regarding the failure of two school officials to report the incident in accordance with California state mandatory reporting laws.
The reason for the school’s delay in reporting the incident to the department is also under investigation.
The Rialto Police Department is asking anyone who may have information relating to this incident to contact Lt. James Mills at 909-820-2632. Cookies can also report information anonymously via the WeTip hotline at 800-782-7463.
Suggest a fix