Private investigation into billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman murders complete, say Toronto police and Sherman family | News

0

The private investigation into the murders of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman has been completed, Toronto police and the Sherman family announced Monday.

Police have also announced that the case is “active” and “ongoing” and continue to urge the public to provide information about the investigation to authorities.

Led by criminal lawyer Brian Greenspan and former homicide cop turned private eye Tom Klatt, the investigation began a day after the bodies of the pharmaceutical titan and his wife were discovered in their Toronto home.

At a news conference at police headquarters on Monday morning, Toronto Police Homicide Inspector. Hank Idsinga told reporters the case was now solely in the hands of his detectives, led by Detective Sergeant. Brandon Price, with the help of Detectives Dennis Yim and Kristy Devine.

Idsinga thanked the family for their support and patience as the investigation continues into its third year. Idsinga said the police got a lot of information from many different sources.

He said the family had received more than 300 pieces of information from the public and passed it on to the police.

As the Star previously reported, members of the Sherman family hired Greenspan after murder-suicide rumors (Barry killing Honey, then himself) emerged less than 24 hours after the bodies were discovered.

Greenspan was hired and made a significant contribution by hiring, with the help of Ontario’s retired Deputy Chief Coroner, Jim Cairns, a senior medical examiner to perform a second set of autopsies. This pathologist concluded that it was a double murder, and the police confirmed this finding during a press conference on January 26, 2018.

But the relationship between the police and the Sherman family was difficult. A year after the start of the double investigation, Greenspan and his team of private investigators held a press conference at Apotex (the Shermans’ family business) to criticize the police investigation for missing clues at the crime scene. and for initially misidentifying the crime they were investigating.

Greenspan also announced a $10 million reward for information helping to catch the killers, but in an unprecedented move in late 2018, he set up a tip line and asked tipsters to contact family investigators — not the police.

The Star has contacted Greenspan several times over the past six weeks to ask if he and his team are still on the case.

On Monday, he told The Star he continues to be involved as an adviser, consultant and, when needed, spokesperson.

As late as November 10, Greenspan wrote in an email to the Star “our retention and commitment to the investigation of the murders of Barry and Honey Sherman remain unchanged – print anything to the contrary at your own risk”.

The strangled bodies of the 75-year-old Apotex founder and his 70-year-old wife were discovered in the basement pool room of their Toronto home on Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.

They are believed to have been killed two days earlier, on the evening of December 13. Recently, the Star reported additional details about the crime scene, including the uncanny similarity between the positioning of the bodies of Sherman – seated with Barry’s legs crossed – and two life-size art sculptures in a another basement room.

Initially, the police explored the possibility of a murder-suicide, with Barry killing Honey and then killing himself. Six weeks into the case, and following a second round of autopsies arranged by Sherman family attorney Brian Greenspan, police announced at a press conference that they will was a “targeted” double homicide. Initially, a homicide detective at the scene said police were not looking for suspects and there were no signs of a break and enter at the Shermans’ home.

Since then, the only substantive police comments ahead of Monday’s news conference came in court hearings involving the Toronto Star, which sought to unseal hundreds of pages of search warrant and production order documents. related to the case. Approximately 40 search warrants and production orders have been approved by Justice Leslie Pringle of the Ontario Court of Justice and served on entities including banks and cellphone providers.

While Yim has been a constant in the case, the direction of the investigation into Sherman’s murder has changed. During the case’s first year, Detective Sue Gomes was in charge, with the help of Detectives Brandon Price and Kristy Devine.

Gomes then moved to take over the police force’s operations unit, then did a stint in the Toronto Police Talent Acquisition (hiring) unit, before returning to operations. Price, now a detective sergeant, took over as officer in charge. Idsinga, well known for his work on the Bruce McArthur serial murder case, took a keen interest in the Sherman investigation.

In court at the Toronto Star’s request, Yim explained that much of the investigation over the past eight months has focused on obtaining ‘voluminous’ amounts of electronic data from an ‘entity’ that he would not identify. When asked in court whether it was GPS or cellphone location information, or banking information, Yim said he could not answer without jeopardizing the investigation.

The new data, obtained in the spring, was analyzed this summer by civilian police intelligence analysts. The analysts’ report was given to the homicide unit in September, and further production orders had to be served on other entities accordingly, Yim told the court.

Share.

Comments are closed.