The office of Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said it was awaiting a report from lawyer Jennifer Williams, who was investigating the case.
FILE: Western Cape Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz. Photo: Albert Fritz/Twitter
CAPE TOWN – More than two weeks after CME Albert Fritz was immediately suspended from Western Cape Community Safety after sexual misconduct allegations were made against him, the investigation into the matter is still ongoing.
Prime Minister Alan Winde announced his decision to suspend Fritz on January 23.
The suspended MEC also left his post as acting provincial leader of the Democratic Alliance (DA) to focus on the investigation.
Premier Winde’s office said it was awaiting a report from lawyer Jennifer Williams, who was investigating the case.
His office said Williams, who was appointed as an independent expert to investigate the case, was in control of the process and the time it took to complete it.
Once the investigation is complete, Winde pledged to release more details.
Since news of Fritz’s suspension broke, opposition parties have been quick to criticize Winde for his handling of the case, accusing him of not being transparent.
But Winde stressed that despite the criticism he faced for not immediately disclosing the reasons for Fritz’s suspension, he was focused on protecting plaintiffs.
So far, no criminal complaint has been filed with the police.