The UC Santa Cruz Police Department increased patrols this weekend with great care and caution as officers continue to investigate threats of violence made on social media and by someone shouting loudly. at 1:52 a.m. Thursday in the lower quad at Stevenson College.
The investigation is ongoing and this is the limited information we have at this time. As additional information becomes available, we will share updates with our campus community.
The UC Santa Cruz Police Department takes all threats of violence seriously and is actively seeking your assistance in continuing this investigation. Members of the UC Santa Cruz community are urged to share any information related to this situation immediately by contacting the UCSC Police Department at 831-459-2231, ext. 1 or by calling the anonymous hotline 831-459-3847.
We urge our campus community to be alert to their surroundings and to report any suspicious activity by calling 831-459-2231 ext 1. People should dial 911 in an emergency.
Campus Community Safety Tips
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- See something, say something. Report suspicious activity to UC Santa Cruz Police (831) 459-2231, option 1
- Immediately report any criminal activity (such as a break-in, trespasser, theft, threats of harm, assault) to 9-1-1 or for non-emergency cases
- UCSCPD Anonymous Advice Line – (831) 459-3TIP (459-3847)
- On-campus situations, at UCSCPD at (831) 459-2231, option 1
- Be aware of your surroundings and location if you need to call 911 for assistance
- Avoid people and situations that make you nervous – trust your instincts!
- Whenever possible, travel with a friend or in a group
- Stay in well-lit places as much as possible. Don’t walk alone late at night.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace, making eye contact with people as you walk.
- If you see an abandoned or unattended package or backpack, please report it immediately by calling 911
- If you ever feel that you or others are in danger, call 911.