FIFA extends investigation into child sexual abuse in Gabon: report

0

FIFA extended an investigation into allegations of systematic sexual abuse of underage players in Gabon by extending suspensions to four football officials on Tuesday.

FIFA said its ethics committee had opened formal proceedings against Patrick Assoumou Eyi, league official Serge Mombo and coaches Triphel Mabicka and Orphe Mickala. Eyi is a former national under-17 team coach accused of raping boys.

The investigation was launched after the British daily The Guardian reported statements from alleged victims in December. They said they were lured into Eyi’s house which he called the Garden of Eden.

Eyi was suspended by the Gabonese Football Federation in December and FIFA extended this ban worldwide and provisionally to the other three officials.

These sanctions were imposed in the context of ongoing criminal investigations, FIFA said in a statement.

FIFA ethics investigators have received a complaint from global players’ union FIFPRO, which says the abuse of underage boys in Gabon runs deep in football there and is an open secret that has not been addressed. for years.

The union also alleged that people closely linked to the Gabonese federation had threatened players and witnesses during the investigation.

Gabon is the latest country investigated for systematic sexual abuse within its football federation. FIFA ethics judges have previously banned officials in Afghanistan and Haiti.

(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Share.

Comments are closed.