Criminal investigation into the Astroworld festival “in progress”


Houston police say the criminal investigation into what happened at Astroworld last Friday is continuing.

About 50,000 people attended the event, according to investigators. Eight people died and hundreds were injured. Authorities say six people remain in hospital, five of whom are in intensive care.

THE VICTIMS: What we know about the 8 lives lost in the Astroworld tragedy

The Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office released the names of the eight victims. However, their cause of death is still pending. The victims are between 14 and 27 years old.

On Monday, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner revealed he met with Travis Scott before the concert with concerns about public safety.

In a statement, Finner said, “I met with Travis Scott and his chief security officer for a few moments last Friday before the main event. I expressed my concerns about public safety and that during my 31 years of law enforcement experience, I have never seen a time with more challenges facing citizens of all ages, including a global pandemic and social tensions across the country. asked Travis Scott and his team to work with HPD for all weekend events and to heed his team’s social media post about any unforeseen events. The meeting was brief and respectful, and an opportunity for me to share my public safety concerns as Chief of Police.

As Travis Scott prepared to take the stage around 9 p.m. Friday, the crowd grew.

Remington Richardson, an EMT who worked on Astroworld, posted a video on TikTok, detailing how doctors hired for the festival were overwhelmed.

“It was just a situation where maybe a little over 100, 150 people were responsible for probably over 50,000 highly irresponsible people. At the heart of it all, I’m like so many people are falling, so many people are getting were hurting, and my observations were that there was no mob etiquette at all,” Richardson said in the video.

RELATED: Astroworld Festival Tragedy Survivors Tell Their Stories, ‘It Was Very Bad’

According to Houston Fire Chief Sam Pena, the site patrol determined around 9:15 p.m. that the event was escalating and called for reinforcements. About 15 minutes later, around 9:30 p.m., a mass casualty incident was reported. Additional fire units and ambulances were then sent to NRG Park to assist.

“When people started to pass out, the reports of overdoses, cardiac arrests; at that point it seemed to me they were quickly overwhelmed and our units stepped in to fill that gap,” said Pena.

RELATED: “Absolutely Crazy” ICU Nurse Attending Astroworld Festival Tells FOX 26 What She Saw

Pena estimates that 25 people were first taken to hospital on Friday.

“We gave a lot of Narcan. That’s not to say they were all overdosed, Narcan is something we give to patients who we don’t know the reason for being unconscious,” Pena said.

At one point, he said, 55 fire units and 20 ambulances were deployed to NRG Park. He thinks the situation could have been much worse if the additional resources had not been in place.


Comments are closed.